Monday 4 November 2013

Jess's Favourite: Make-Up Brushes


Good quality make-up brushes are an essential tool to getting perfect looking make-up, it’s important to try and wash them with shampoo as often as possible so they deliver the best results and last for years (I do not practice what I preach and all my brushes are way overdue a wash!). Here are a few of my favourites which I always use in my make-up routine.


1. MAC 150 Large Powder Brush – I tend to use this brush for bronzer as it’s the perfect size to run along the temples and in the hollows of the cheeks to create that more contoured and defined look. I don’t use it for powder as I use a much smaller brush and just powder the t-zone area as I have really dry skin so don’t really need to powder all over. I have had this brush for a while now and it is still really soft, I was a little disappointed with it when I first bought it as it kept shedding hairs on my face but that stopped after a few uses. It’s not a cheap make-up brush at £33.50, but for me it really is an essential.




 2. Real Techniques Stippling Brush - I use the stippling brush to gently buff liquid or cream foundation into the skin to give a flawless and airbrushed finish. I use it in little circular motions until all the foundation is evenly blended into the skin, I also use it at the end of my make-up routine and buff out and harsh lines I may have from bronzer or blusher. The Real Techniques brushes all have synthetic bristles which makes them quick to clean as they don’t ‘hold on’ to the product and at around £10 the brush is really good value for money.




3. Bobbi Brown Foundation Brush – This is more of a traditional foundation brush and I use it if my skin is very dry (the buffing motion of the Stippling brush can often make my skin flaky if I’m having a very dry day!). I also use it to ‘clean up’ under my eyes if any shadow has dropped down. This brush also builds to a more full coverage foundation look whereas the Stippling brush is creates a sheer to moderate finish. This brush is not cheap at £32.00, however it is very good quality and should last a really long time.




 4. MAC 263 Small Angle Brush – This is the brush I use to fill in my eyebrows on a day to day basis, I gently brush through powder eyeshadow in small soft strokes; the angle in the brush really helps to make the brow as precise as possible. I also use it to line my top lash line with powder and gel eyeliner as I find an angled brush much easier to use than a traditional liner brush. It takes 20 seconds to clean as it’s so thin and can be thoroughly dry in 15 minutes.  The RRP of this brush is £16.50.




5. MAC 217 Blending Brush – If you want to achieve a perfect smokey eye, a good quality blending brush is essential. I use it to brush base eye colours all over the lid then blend darker colours through the crease to add shadow and definition. The bristles are soft and don’t shed and blend colours together effortlessly. I also have another blending brush which isn't MAC (it is a slightly cheaper N⁰7 one) and I can definitely tell the difference in quality, however if you are creating a dramatic smokey eye it is usually best to apply the product with one and blend with the other to make it looks as neat as possible. The MAC 217 is £18.00 and also MAC’s top selling brush. 


What are your favourite make-up brushes?  



No comments:

Post a Comment