Friday 5 February 2016

January Favourites


Another month has passed by so quickly. 2016 will be over before we know it, but let's not dwell on that (as I may cry). Instead, lets focus on my January Favourites. I've made some great discoveries this month and I can't wait to talk about them.

Becca x Jaclyn Hill Highlighter



You've probably heard about this highlighter a million times but I'm going to talk about it because I have fallen in love with it. The packaging is the same as traditional Becca packaging for compacts. The actual highlighter is so soft and smooth. It has a lot of shimmer in it but it doesn't show up too intensely on the skin. Instead it gives the perfect glow that catches the light in such a beautiful way. It's limited edition and Space NK have started to sell it so get your hands on it before it's gone.

Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation


I have wanted this foundation for so long but couldn't justify buying a new foundation. Then my beloved Nars Sheer Glow ran out and I decided to go for a bit of a change. I went to Selfridges and got colour matched to shade 4. I feel like this shade is slightly too dark for me but I think I can just get away with it, my neck is very pale at the minute which doesn't help. The formula of this foundation is beautiful. It feels like there is nothing on the skin and it blends really easily but it has a lot of coverage at the same time. It is more matte than Sheer Glow which is much better for controlling my oily skin. I would definitely recommend this foundation. 

Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Lip Colour in Audrey



I picked this up on a whim at Sephora in the summer. I tested it while I was in the shop and thought the colour was quite unique so I bought it. When I got home and tested it again it was a completely different colour from what I remembered (I had tried on multiple lip products so the colours probably mixed a bit), so I didn't get much use out of it. Then this month I found it in my bag and gave it a quick swipe before I left the house and to my surprise I fell in love with it again. It's a beautiful deep rosy pink shade that isn't your typical everyday pink but isn't too dramatic at the same time. The formula is also great for everyday as it is creamy and can be built up to being pigmented. It's my go to lip colour at the moment and it's named after one of my favourite actresses of all time, what's not to love? 

Nars Steven Klein One Shocking Moment Palette


I debated about getting this palette Nars Blush and Contour Palette for a very long time. I told myself that I don't need more blushers and bronzers and that I could live without it. Then Jess bought it and it looked so nice and I was already buying something else on Space NK, so I just bought it impulsively. I regret nothing. The colours are really wearable with 4 different blush shades, I just pick the one I like best depending on my mood. This palette also has Laguna, the Nars bronzer to have, so it's really handy that it comes in a palette for when I travel.

Philip Kingsley Geranium and Neroli Elasticizer



This is my new favourite hair product. I have had mini versions of the regular elasticizer a few times but never purchased a full size one. I then found the new Geranium and Neroli one in the FeelUnique.com sale with a matching candle. The only difference from the regular one is the floral smell (which is divine FYI). I usually dampen my hair at night and apply mainly to my ends and then I put a shower cap on and sleep with it over night ready to wash off in the morning. This makes my hair so so soft and I have noticed my hair has a bit more life and bounce to it. 

Smith and Cult Nail Varnish in Lovers Creep, Shattered Souls and Kundalini Hustle




I'd heard a few reviews of this nail varnish from various bloggers and Youtubers and was intrigued. I then saw that one bottle costs £19 so decided not to buy any. Then when browsing the Space NK sale I found a pack of 3 full sized nail varnishes for only £23.50, reduced from £47. The shades are a deep purple, a classic red and gold glitter, and I knew I would get a lot of use out of them. They apply really nicely to the nails and the colours are really pretty, the packaging is also gorgeous with a unique metallic misshapen lid. I have noticed that they chip quite easily but I haven't used them that much yet so I will see if that is a recurring pattern or my inability to make nail varnish last.

Topshop Magic Liner in Engraved



I have been struggling to find a new eyeliner over the past few months. Recently I've tried some that have dried up quickly or are too stiff to get that perfect flick. I used to use the Stila eyeliner but I felt the black wasn't black enough, compared to the Marc Jacobs one I used to use, so I thought I'd try some drugstore alternatives. Then I found the Magic Liner in a set with some eyeshadow sticks in the sale and thought why not? It's not my favourite eyeliner ever but it is a pretty good one. The black is very black, which I love, and it lasts all day but the shape of the nib is a bit too elongated to create that perfect feline flick. 

Topshop Smoke Sticks



I don't usually buy Topshop makeup but when I was browsing the website I found a eye set with three eyeshadow sticks and the eyeliner I mentioned above. It was half price, a bargain at £10. The set includes the shades Conspire, a light pink shade, Deviant,  a shimmery champagne, and Dark Horse, a dark brown shade. These sticks are really easy to use and just sweep all over the lid for a quick day time eye. They are really long-lasting and blendable too. I usually apply one of the lighter colours and then apply powder eyeshadow over the top for a really intense eyeshadow look. 

Netflix


Netflix has definitely been one of my favourite things this month. During the Christmas holidays and in between revision I have been binge watching TV shows to my heart's content. I started with Jessica Jones, which is a Marvel superhero series set in New York City that isn't that "superheroey", so if you aren't that into superhero films this is still a good one to watch. I caught up on Homeland which I haven't watched in a few years. I also watched Making A Murderer because I love documentaries, especially about criminals and the American justice system. Now I am watching Suits, about a New York City law firm, which I also can't get enough of (I may be over half way through in 2 weeks).


What have been your favourites during January? 

No comments:

Post a Comment