Saturday 12 September 2015

American Bucket List: 1.Sephora Beauty Class

One of my first stops when I arrived in America was, of course, Sephora. It was number one on my American Bucket List, and I crossed it off pretty much straight away (and many times afterwards). I bought a LOT of makeup in Sephora pretty much every time I visited and bought online, and I have certainly racked up the VIB points to prove it. I also went to a Sephora beauty class on my second day in New York City and on the day I first went upstate to my new university.

Sephora hosts a number of beauty classes across the majority of their American stores including a Contour & Highlight class, a Brows with Eye Contour class and a Daytime Smokey Eye class. They've added so many more since I went to one and they are completely free to book for Beauty Insiders. I booked on to the Perfectly Paired Lip and Cheek Class. Sephora describe it as a class to "flatter yourself with a dynamic lip and cheek duo. Our experts will teach you how to find and apply the best red, pink, coral, nude or berry lip colour - and choose a blush that's just the right complement". I chose this one because I really wanted a new lip colour and blush that were tailored to my skin colour as I usually just pick them because they look pretty.


(image from CollegeFashion)

If you're visiting the US on a short trip I'd recommend booking a class in advance, as they fill up quickly and they have limited times, so then you can plan your day around it. I booked at the 5th Avenue store in New York because it was close to my hotel but I could only get a slot at 8:00am. I think they only offer early times so that the store is completely empty for class members. It was very early but worth it, even just to see 5th Avenue with barely anyone there. I felt like Holly Golightly in the opening scene at Breakfast at Tiffanys, just without the pearls and long black dress. I wish I'd taken a picture of the outside because the 5th Avenue store front is so beautiful but I've added one from good old google images.



I arrived feeling a bit sleepy but Sephora provided us with free coffee and snacks, which I greatly appreciated. There were a few tables set out with a few chairs around each. We got to choose a table to sit at and we filled out our names on a sticky label. As we waited for everyone to arrive we got to walk around a bit, talk to the other customers and have a chat with the Sephora staff. Then the class began, all the team members introduced themselves and the makeup artists gave a quick introduction. They then demonstrated how they match colours with a skin colour i.d. which was then personally found out for each one of us. Then in our small groups our Sephora team member showed us which products would suit our skin tone from a list of products that had already been expertly picked for that colour. We got to choose which lip shade we wanted from reds, corals, pinks, berries and nudes. I decided to go for a berry colour as it was something a bit different. The team then found a few shades for us to try on.



The makeup artists then showed us how to apply our chosen colours and products in a little demo at the front of the class. They used lip scrub, lip balm, showed us how to apply lip liner in the correct way and then applied the lip product with a lip brush. After the demo we got to try it on ourselves. I chose the Josie Maran Argan Infinity Lip and Cheek Creamy Oil in Boundless Berry. We were given mirrors, cotton buds, cotton pads and any tools we needed. The same process then happened with the blush colours we had chosen and we were told the different ways to apply blush, and the brushes to use, and then we got to try it for ourselves. The lovely woman at Sephora suggested I go for more peachy blushes so I chose a Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Captivating.




Excuse my awful handwriting!

Throughout the whole thing we had paper to write down any notes. All the Sephora staff were so friendly and great at teaching us, answering our questions and just to talk to throughout. We then got a chance to buy the products we tried out and have a wander through the store to see if we wanted to buy anything else. I think it's important to add that these classes weren't all about selling products as you didn't have to buy anything if you didn't want to. The emphasis was more on the experience and learning which was great. We even got a little certificate to say that we'd completed the course.

I'd definitely recommend going to a class if you get the chance. The experience felt personal and I walked away having learned something new, as well as some new products in my striped Sephora bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment