Monday 10 March 2014

Look Stylish on the Slopes

In a few months I am off skiing again in Colorado, USA. I am already super exciting and I am in full ski-shopping mode. It has been a few years since I last went skiing so I have decided to update my ski wardrobe a little bit.

I have had a few fashion disasters over the years when skiing... what was I thinking when I choose a head to toe baby pink ski suit when I was 12? I looked like a marshmallow falling down a mountain, but this year I'm going for an all-black-everything kind of vibe with the exception of some bright pink accessories to keep it as feminine as possible (as feminine as a puffy ski coat and sallopates can be).

On the Slopes

Unfortunately, when skiing it really does have to be substance over style. You need ski-wear that is snow-proof as well as waterproof - it may sound silly but a normal waterproof jacket does not protect you against heavy snow- you also need it to be warm and comfortable. Bellow are a few of my favourite ski pants and jackets around at the moment.



(North Face Baker Delux Jacket £260, Billabong Candy Snow Pants in Berry £69.99, Sweaty Betty Astro Ski Salopettes £249.00, Roxy Jet Ski Indies Snow Jacket £159.99)


Safety is also an important factor and helmets and goggles/glasses are a must. I have never worn a helmet whilst skiing before but I am increasingly hearing these horror stories in the news so I decided it would be wise to make the investment. Hats, scarves and gloves are the next essential items - make sure your gloves are waterproof! Years and years ago I had fleece gloves and I had freezing cold hands all week.


(Oakley Polarized Splice Snow Goggles £170.00, Trespass Meryll Hat £12.99, Roxy Power Powder Helmet £58.00, Bolle Mojo Vermillion Goggles, Dare 2b Persist Glove Purple £18.00)



Lastly, keeping warm in an obvious must. Layers of thermals are perfect for keeping warm; if you get too hot whist skiing, just whip a layer off and you're good to go. Thermal skins and fleeces are ideal, below are a few around a the minute.


(Helly Hansen Dry Dynamics in Red Grape £35.00, Striders Edge Hoodie £35.00, The North Face 100 Glacier Fleece £40.00, Helly Hansen Comfort Wool Set £100.00)


Look out for my follow up post in the coming weeks: Look Stylish on the Slopes: Apres Ski, for advice and ideas on what to wear after a day on the slopes!






No comments:

Post a Comment